Date(s) - 03/12/2016
2:00 pm - 5:00 pm
A Saturday School with Barrie Selwyn.
In the so called Romantic era, 1800 – 1850, there was an unprecedented reciprocity between Poetry and Philosophy. Both Wordsworth and Coleridge had a well documented interest in Locke and Kant/Schelling and there were many philosophical themes running through their poems.
Key themes of talk will be:
- Post-Enlightment redefinition of reason – new emphasis on feeling and emotion
- New vocabularies for selfhood and interiority.
- A secular conception of spirituality outside the confines of organized religion
- The redefinition of Nature
- Celebration of excess – anti-puritanism
- Celebration of artistic creativity